Whether you should have a mobile website is no longer a relevant question because a mobile website is a must if you are looking to optimize your business operations. The right question to ponder now is how you can make your mobile website the best. If you are already thinking about it, consider the following tips.
- Google indexing: Make sure that Google isn’t having a hard time crawling your mobile site. You can use Google Webmaster Tools for this task.
- Add mobile XML sitemap: By adding a mobile XML sitemap in Google Webmaster Tools, you are helping Google recognize that you have two separate websites: traditional desktop one and mobile one.
- Website speed for mobile devices: Make sure that the codes are clean and logical to keep the loading time to minimum. Also, using few and simple banners for the mobile site is a good idea as it helps reducing the loading time.
- Graphics: Unique and attractive graphics are always good for engaging users’ attention. However, do they look good? If yes, do they look same in all the phones, i.e., does the image split in Android phone or does the flash player work on iOS platform?
- Matching theme: The design theme of the mobile site should always match the desktop theme.
- Avoid pop-ups: When users don’t like pop-ups in desktop website, how will they put up with pop-ups in mobile site? They would rather abandon the site, and so avoid using them.
- Content: As mobile users will likely scan through the content, use short and effective content. Simple, witty sentences are a good way to keep your users engaged with minimal content.
- Video player: If you are uploading videos on the mobile site, use HTML5 video player as it’s lightweight and easy for phones to render.
- Add title and meta description: Add short and relevant title and meta description to help Google bots crawl your mobile site quickly and easily.