There are many posts online that talk about tips and tricks and techniques of using Facebook. That thought brings up another question: What exactly is ‘a facebook’? The word ‘facebook’ used to denote a directory that contained photos and basic information on people. It is now evolved to more popularly denote the online social media platform.
But it would be wise to remember that Facebook cannot hog center stage all the time. You are the one who deserves it more. After all, your membership is one of the millions of reasons why Facebook is what it is. Facebook is, both statistically and arguably, the largest social network on the internet. However, it isn’t as user centric as it should and can be.
The following 10 tips on using Facebook will allow you to customize your Facebook experience to your taste. Chances are, by the time you have implemented these, Facebook will have changed quite a few things. Then there will be a new set of tips! But for now, these will suffice:
1. How to hide on Facebook chat: Opening your Facebook chat window. Click the settings icon in the upper right corner. Go to “Advanced Settings” and customize your chat experience by appearing offline to selected ‘friends’.
2. How to display photos on your Facebook timeline: Click “Edit Photo” on your Timeline page. Use the “Reposition Photo” option to move your photo around the preview window to position it as you want.
3. Brag, using photographic evidence: Go to the Places page, click “Add Photos to Map” and start tagging (read bragging)!
4. Get rid of app notifications: Go to your account settings, and then to the “Notifications” tab on the left side of the page. Browse the applications that have permission send you news feed. Deactivate those apps that annoy you with excess feeds.
5. Display that photo correctly: Sometimes, that photo you uploaded to your Facebook profile looks blurry. Go to your Facebook album and click the ‘High Quality’ box before you upload the next photo.
6. Customize which friends see what: From your Timeline page, click the settings icon beside “Activity Log” and click “View As.” Here you’ll be able to see what specific friends see when they visit your page.
7. Get your copy of your Facebook history: Under the Account Settings page, there’s a small link at the bottom end of the options list. Click “Download a copy of your Facebook data” to get your own copy of everything you put up on Facebook since you created your profile.
8. Forward a message to several friends at once: Click the “Actions” tab at the top of any Facebook message thread to access the option to forward it to others. Just choosing the ‘Friends’ option will display it to all your friends.
9. Turn automatic chat sign-in off: You don’t want to chat before you have looked up the messages and friends’ requests. Click the settings icon in the main Facebook chat window, and click “Turn off chat” to have all future messages sent to your inbox, rather than have them pop-up in real time on your screen.
10. Design your business card: Click the “About” link under your name on your Timeline. Look up your social network details. In the Contact Info window is a small business card icon that takes you to Moo.com, where you can create a custom business card and place an order.