Web content strategy is not accorded the due importance that is only inherently present in the very concept. And that is because everyone from marketing (including SEO), design, mobile, and social media are too busy trumpeting the importance of their own specialization. The truth, however, is that without an appropriate web content strategy, without appropriate web content, no one’s going anywhere.
So what is so wonderful about your web content and the strategy it follows?
To begin with, web content strategy is about asking all the right questions way before any kind of real work is done. That’s how important it is. The questions involved are as follows:
- What human and other equipment do you have internally to promote your content efforts?
- Where do you want your organization to go from where it is currently?
- How much of a gap exists between your corporate objective and current corporate situation?
- What resources do you own that could help take your organization in the right direction?
I used to wonder a lot about the reason why the Internet is so full of crappy content despite the efforts of movers and shakers such as Google. But if you were to answer and address those questions, much good work can be done on your web content.
Formulation of web content strategic suddenly becomes achievable.
Getting people to take a close look at the kind of content that’s being produced in-house is the first positive step forward. Related issues include the following:
- What impacts content internally?
- What’s driving it from what sources?
- What resources can have a positive impact on its quality?
- What factors are affecting it negatively?
- What can be done to set matters right?
A go-forward plan based on the recommendations in answer to these questions will be a potent instrument in addressing content and web content strategy related woes of your organization.
And it’s not about only marketing, only social, only SEO, or only design. It’s about all of these working in unison to align with the full prowess of content.
In particular, content developers at your firm have to be coordinated with those guys that actually talk to the customers.
Watch this space for more on web content and relevant strategy.