The Internet is already an online shopping refuge for the billions around the world who want a cheaper, better, faster deal. Ecommerce sites stand a distinct chance at online business success, even as we progress closer to the New Year.
The future holds promise for every online business, whether a startup or an ecommerce giant.
Just look at the figures (relevant to online shopping) that recent and very reliable research has thrown up (and their implications):
- The U.S. Internet population is slated to grow to nearly 200 million users by the end of 2009. (Far more online shoppers than before)
- 221 million people in the United States will be using the Internet by 2013. (Get you online shopping store in order. Fast.)
- 74% of adults in the United States now use the Internet. The demographics of online population now resemble those of the United States’ entire population, covering a vast range of age groups, income levels, and ethnicities. (Immense scope for online retailers)
- By 2012, one quarter of the world’s population will be using the Internet on a regular basis. The increase in emerging global markets will grow at double-digit rates, boosting the growth of the global online population. (Are you already catering to global markets?)
- The global Internet population has already reached the 1 billion mark! The 2- and 3-billion marks will follow in quick succession. (Can you measure up?)
One in four shoppers is spending more time online compared to last year because of the tough times we are seeing. All this time is being spent looking for info on products and researching online shopping options. As many as 75% of shoppers are using the info available online before they make online purchases. By 2013, about 40% of all retail sales will be initiated online.
These figures prominently indicate that online shopping and online businesses will grow at unprecedented rates in the times to come. With such growth, individual online businesses will need to ramp up customer support as well as the quality of their products and services.
Is your online business geared to meet the challenge?