What with the crowds out there, the lack of parking space, and the exaggerated decoration of the garish shopping malls, more people are likely to go online for their holiday shopping than to the mall. If you follow these tips, your webstore can be a welcome relief for all those anxious shoppers hoping to get their holiday shopping done well on time:
- Don’t make your webstore too flashy and garish. Too much decoration is NOT the way to go. It should still be the same, familiar webstore with every link and button in its place. The holiday mood and shopping pleasure should be subtly suggested, not trumpeted.
- Offer freebies, discounts, and attractive options such as free shipping. Make these offers a little better than during the rest of the year. It should of course make one holiday shopper talk about it to another. What can you give without burning a hole in your pocket?
- Go multi-cultural. Holiday shopping is not the same thing for everyone. Everyone does not have the same beliefs. Keep an eye on that factor. Also advertise and provide discounts on products for men, women, and children. Holiday shopping should be to the taste of a majority of your audience, at the very least.
- Provide buying guides on your webstore. Holiday shoppers want suggestion and gift ideas to make their gifts special. Provide some great ideas well in time for, say, Christmas, and watch your products disappear like ninepins! You can also optimize the buying guides to ensure that the word on your excellent offers and ideas spreads far.
- Special gestures can mean a difference between normal sales and a windfall. A special gesture will stand out and make the shoppers flock in droves to your webstore. If, for instance, your webstore normally charges a nominal fee for the shipping, you could perhaps waive for the month before the holiday.
- Just the week before the day of the celebration, offer faster delivery of products for an additional but not too high a fee. Last-minute shoppers will find this a blessing and you could experience a sudden, sharp spike in sales.
- Incentivize your ‘like’ button for your webstore on your Facebook and other social media pages. Offer a small but significant discount for clicking it. When the increased number of likes is visible on your page, you stand a very good chance that curiosity will drive more customers to your online store.
The crux of the matter lies in the extent to which you engage your online customers. The more responsive you are to their requirements, the better will they respond to yours. Creativity, innovation, and fun should all factor in your business planning for the holiday shopping. Make the experience worth the visitors’ time and watch your products fly off the shelf!