Now a day, the use and development of Social Media is increasing all over the world. It has been extended to the rural areas as well. I believe this is because of the growing popularity of the internet. It is the platform where people are come to gather for sharing their idea, news, and latest update on various topics. The social media platforms here are in the two formats, web-based and mobile based where the people communicate and share their views with each other using various forms of media like text, pictures, and video, audio. The forums, blog, podcasting, wikis, etc. on various subjects are also part of online social media. For small or large business, using various forms of social media applications are the great ways to create large customer base for their products or services.
To interact with your customer, to know customer about your products or services, get reviews on your products from customers, run contest, get to know your consumers about promotional offering like discounts, coupons, etc. are the list of tasks that you can perform using various social media websites. This process is also known as Social Media Optimization (SMO).
Below are some of the popular online Social Media platforms,
- Google Groups – Reference, Social Networking Website
- Facebook / MySpace – Sharing story, links, photos, video, views etc.
- Delicious – Social Bookmarking
- Twitter – Micro blogging
- Digg – Sharing News
- Youtube – Sharing videos
- Flickr – Sharing photos, images
Do you know how people can gain their knowledge, get news and update? You can either use electronic media or print media to make this possible. Radio, Televisions and Films are the instances of electronic media and newspaper, and magazines are models of the print media, which is more expensive than social media. In addition, Electronic and Print media constrain significant resources to distribute your information as compared to the social media.
There are following six channels or functions that create the use of social media by people…
- Building Authority / Collaboration
- Wikis – Wikipedia
- Social navigation – Trapster
- Social bookmarking – Delicious, StumbleUpon etc.
- Content Management Systems – WordPress, Drupal etc.
- Social news – Digg, Reddit etc.
- Document Managing and Editing Tools – Google Docs etc.
- Communicate to people
- Share reviews, get opinions, ask questions
- Product reviews – Epinions, Mouthshut etc.
- Business reviews – Yelp
- Community Q&A – Stack Exchange, Yahoo! Answers, Quora, Askville etc.
- Forums according to the industry – For SEO, Digitalpoint etc.
- Getting Entertainment
- Media and entertainment platforms – Cisco Eros
- Virtual worlds – Active Worlds
- Game sharing – Miniclip
- Sharing Multimedia
- Monitoring your brand
- Social media measurement – Attensity, Statsit etc.
All the above are freeways of running social media campaign, which require huge efforts and various techniques to maintain it and may take long time to get a result. What if when someone wants fast results through social media campaign? In this case, they need to pay for all their social media activities. E.g. Google provides the platform to run your social media campaign by creating advertise in Google Adwords, which will display in sponsor result section in Google’s search page. You opt for either a free way or a paid way for promoting your business, product or service to any social media websites, tools or application; you need to hire Social Media Marketing professionals from an internet marketing company like Ydeveloper to get effective social media solutions.